Did you know that botanically speaking, zucchini is a fruit! It is considered a vegetable in the culinary world, but it grows from flowers and contains seeds so in fact, it is a fruit. This summer squash can be used in a variety of recipes including baking, as it brings texture and moisture to it. This month I am sharing with you our Zucchini-Lime Muffin recipe.
- 12 muffins
- 2 cups Zucchini, grated
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 lime, zest finely grated
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1 ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat the oven at 350F with the rack in the middle position.
- In a bowl, mix the brown sugar, oil, and applesauce until well combined.
- Add the egg, lime zest, juice, and mix to incorporate.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and zucchini and mix until just combined.
- Scoop in muffin tin and cook for about 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.